Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Oh Betsy! ... the bag

About a year ago my sister in law Betsy sent me a text in desperation of a fun little tote that could carry her wallet and keys and not get in her way of handling all six of her children. :) I thought about what she wanted for several months. I'm not usually interested in sewing smaller bags, because I really like my big bags (I heard once they make you're butt look smaller...I guess that could be true!).
As the months passed I was able to eventually come up with a design that I really like.
And what I love MOST about this bag is that it works in any fabric. I really can't say that about other bags. Typically a pattern is drastically changed by the choice of fabrics, but with the Oh Betsy! bag that's really not the case. Here it's shown in some Dear Stella fabrics. Which I am really going through a phase with navy and emerald. I actually just listed this little number in the shop.
 The next two photos are the original bag from the pattern photographed and modeled by Beth. Isn't she so pretty? I was so blessed to meet her at market a few years ago.
 This bag is complete with an interior pocket as shown below, two handles for an easy grab, or a long strap for across the shoulder. When making the bag you can even add little hooks for removing the strap if you want. When finished it measures about 11" tall by 9" wide and has instructions for adding a snap if desired. OH, also it can be made with only ONE yard of fabric! How awesome is that? Perfect for gift giving on a budget!
 And then.... the red and turquoise. This little number was popular at market and sadly has already sold. I love these Joel Dewberry fabrics (if you haven't caught on yet). I used a larger hook and ring size on this one and really liked it. I think I'll stick with the larger size from now on.
And to conclude my story with Betsy wanting a smaller bag... she sent me a text when she finished testing the pattern and said, "I love it! I think you should name it the Betsy bag!"
I wrote back, "Oh, Betsy!" ;)
If you have never met Betsy before, then just know that you're truly missing out! She is as happy as a person can get and is simply one of the best people I know. I'm so blessed to have such wonderful siblings and in-laws.
And I have listed some fun new Shore bags for people who just want the bag. There are three combos currently listed--bubblegum/navy, sunshine/navy, and the original orange/navy. So go pick one up for yourself if you'd like to skip over the whole sewing portion. ;)