Saturday, September 4, 2010

I could use some help on this.

I'm going to fill you in on a little secret...I don't know how to decorate. I don't know maybe I do, but it's more like I'm affraid I'll screw up so I just don't do it. Take for example my Living Room...
This is the view from the front door. It's not too bad right? Aside from the kitchen...we haven't remodeled that yet, so don't look. But the living room, it's not too bad, but maybe I could do a little more? Pretty pillows or something more with the mantle?

Then this is the back of the room...there's nothing behind the couch except a whole lot of floor space and then the top of the cabinets is really bare. Aside from Halloween, it doesn't get much attention. I've stared at it for four years (ever since we finished re-doing this room) and now I don't know what to put there. I thought about maybe some antique bird cages or garland, but I'm not certain I'm that kind of girl. Then I thought about getting a really pretty frame for our family picture and just putting it in the center? I don't know. Tell me what you think. If this were your home what would you use to decorate the cabinets? Oh, and should I have a pretty little entry table for behind the couch or would that be silly? Fill me in, tell me your thoughts...I'm desperate! :)

5 comments:

christina said...

ok, you need color! love the couch but the rest of the room is kinda colorless. a nice bright yellow or red would look nice. actually look at the sides of your blog, the red and yellows on it would look great and go nicely with the dark molding. yes, some pillows would look nice too. of course contrasting ones that match your new wall color. but then again, maybe you didnt want to go as far as painting your walls. just my thoughts when i first looked at the room. good luck.

Lee and Roni Poston said...

Yes I agree with the throw pillows. Lets add that to the list of "to dos" when u get here. U should also post your before pics. That would automatically make you feel a lot bette about it. :)

Betsy said...

Coming from a girl who doesn't decorate her home: I don't think your mantel necessarily *needs* anything because of that pretty window. But, if you want to add color, that is probably a good place. I'd go with a few of smaller somethings rather than just one large something. How about a few simple plates, vases, fun jars, etc? I'm guessing you can go with breakables since it's up high. I'm all for clean lines so garland makes me go uhhhhhh. Just a thought. Can't wait to come see it in real life.

Ashley and Jason Faucett said...

Oooo, okay, so I read the comments then looked at the pictures again. I agree with the color, but nothing dramatic, I like the blue. Definitely some throw pillows and maybe some fun colored glass jars to put on the mantel with the window so on sunny days like in the pic the color just shines in the room!! I of course am always trying to think of ways to decorate with fabric in as many ways as possible. :) Maybe some fabric birds like I've seen on sewmamasew!

Greene Family said...

I would put a family picture in the center on top of your cabinets. I love to have pictures out though! I like the idea of colored vases with all of the light that you probably have coming in that window. Throw pillows are always a fun/easy way to add color. I really like your room though - looks great and comfortable! We tend to try to go with minimal/simple decorating because my hubby feels like there is clutter otherwise, and it is less for me to dust/clean. :) We have been trying to paint our main rooms for a few years now (only the bedrooms have a lot of color), but we are slackers and I keep changing my mind on the colors.